Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You live where?

Well, after a long trip to Bhubaneswar we got off the plane, walked down the steep steps of the plane into the muggy humid air that greeted us. With the wind from the engines and the dirt swirling around us, I look at my hubby quote a line from our favorite Bollywood movie Bride and Prejudice . . . Geez Balraj, where the heck have you brought me? The scene that was before my eyes is exactly as it was on the movie. Laughter broke the intensity of the moment . . . wow, this is our new home. We continued into the airport and after having my photo taken (apparently a pale face is not often seen in these parts, let alone one with a beautiful brown toddler!) we step out into the stickiest air I have felt in years.
Alot has happened since that day last week - we have furnished a home, filled a kitchen with new necessities and learned to take a shower without a shower. Hmmm. The girls have been amazing recovering from jet lag far quicker than their parents. The office staff here at Good News India have been so amazing helping us translate and bargain our way through each day. We were given a bed on loan, it is a wedding present for one of the staff members. The wood carving is amazing and the wood mattress is not. Okay, it's not wood but it has certainly felt like it however today we managed to find a 5inch mattress to fit on this huge bed and we llok forward to our first good night's sleep. Above is a photo of the delivery van . . . uhhhh I mean delivery RickShaw : )
Tonight we celebrated Jaya's 3rd Gotcha Day, in style in India and at an Indian restaurant. It was such a fun evening surrounded by new friends. Just as we put the cake in front of Jaya and she blew out the candles, the power went out. It was a priceless moment and made for an interesting cake cutting experiment for me! It came back on shortly afterwards and we had attracted a quite a crowd around the table. They asked to take Jaya's photo and she kindly obliged all the while loving the attention.
Today was a full day but I will have to fill you in on more a little later - I am tired and that nice new mattress is calling my name.











.

4 comments:

Julie & Patrick said...

So amazingly cool!! I can't tell you how much I am going to look forward to your posts! I love how you have picked yourself up and plopped the family down, half way around the world, yet the normalcy of what you celebrate and how you go about celebrating remains the same!

Julie R

Pam said...

Amazing! I can't wait to read all about your India adventure!

Anonymous said...

I can understand a good nights sleep- with the baby almost here, it is harder to sleep. I hope this matress is everything that you need it to be. I am glad that the girls are adjusting as well as you and Pete. Please keep the posts coming- we want to know how how everything is just as much as anyone else. We love you all and think of you often an continue to pray. --Abby, Joel and I

Kristi W. said...

You're there!! Glad to see you made it safe and sound. I also LOVE Bride and Prejudice. I own it and have watched it a ton. :) So glad you are posting here, I will be blog stalking you faithfully.

BTW - did you get my e-mail? If not, let me know and I will resend it. It's about my trip to India this Sept. I know you are super busy now though so no rush.

:)Kristi W.

Post a Comment