Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pieces of Me

We just had a wonderful weekend with my entire family. One sister's visit was planned before our India move was decided then once that cat was out of the bag, my other two sister's and Dad and stepmom decided to come as well! The weather was horrible, rainy and cold but that didn't stop us from having fun. Thursday, we rented a van and went to the Carnegie Science Museum. The kids had a blast but I think the adults had more fun playing with all the gadgets. Friday night brought a 25 Anniversary celebration and a fun game of Girls Vs Boys Pictionary that clearly showed - the sister's think alike! It was so funny to watch, we just knew what the other was thinking. The boys got a whippin! Saturday brought the first round of goodbyes - tough to take since I may not see them again before we leave for India. Each sister got to take some goodies that we would either give away or sell in a yard sale. One got some decorations, one got baby items for their adoption adventure and the other got our cat! Sydney (our deaf white kitty) had only been with us a few years but was a presence around our home that is already missed. It was so nice to know that these things were going to my sisters but also weird to watch pieces of our life start leaving . . .

So all that to say, this move to India is hitting home big time right now. Our house sold in 2.5 days and we found a short term rental within two hours of signing the contract on the house. We have sold a 4 wheeler, a riding lawnmower and we have a huge yard sale this weekend. Our beloved, Bayley (11 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever) will be going to live with our in-laws for the rest of his life in a few short weeks. My thought pattern has changed to - is this really something we will need in two years when we return or is it important enough to ship to India? So as pieces of us get scattered around the county and country, I am learning to trust God and know that His plan is the best. It is after all, just stuff. Stuff is not what makes memories special - it's family and friends.

I got a lovely email from my Auntie Stella in England this past week and she told us how proud our mum would be of us. Funny how even at this age, words like that can hit you in your heart and make you smile through your tears. And in this month, October Breast Cancer Awareness month, it is only fitting for me to say . . . not a day goes by that I don't think of my mum, I miss her. However, I do think in the midst of this past weekend, her strength, beauty and humor were clearly evident in all 4 of her daughter's. Obviously pieces of her in us.

Enjoy our photos!!





1 comment:

Kristi W. said...

What a great post! I'm sorry I didn't get to read it earlier (been out of town for a few weeks). I can only imagine what it must be like to try to pack up your life and move to India. Emotional and exciting and scary all in one!!! I am so happy for you guys and will be praying that everything keeps falling into place. Amazing how God can sell a house so quickly in this economy. Evidence that you are doing what you are called to do!!!! Keep on blogging so I can live vicariously through you!

:) Kristi W.

Post a Comment